2020 blogging goals did not come to fruition. 2021’s is simpler over here at Literature and Limes. In 2021 I’ll be participating in Food ‘n Flix all year long. That means each month I watch a movie and make a meal from it. Some years ago, in a different blog in a different time, I participated in Food ‘n Flix. It was always fun and always a challenge.
The first movie of the year for 2021 is Simply Irresistible and is hosted by A Day In The Life On The Farm. This magical realism movie is all about food, feelings, and falling in love! Though I suspect this dish may be made by others, I chose the Crab Napoleon. When our main character, Amanda, who owns a restaurant, is at the market buying ingredients she has an encounter with a crab and with a man. As the crab is about to crawl up this man’s leg, Amanda grabs it and says humorously, “something is about to crawl up your pants.” She tells this man she intends to make Crab Napoleon with the crab she’s purchasing.
Little does she know he’s going to show up in her restaurant and actually expect this Crab Napoleon!
Other food ideas I had noted included:
* cheesy chicken
* chicken paillard
* a tart with berries
* caramel eclairs
* fig souflee
Spicy Crab Napoleon
16 oz jumbo lump crab meat
3 tbsp minced shallot
1/4 cup lime juice, divided
2 tsp salt, divided
1/2 tsp chili powder
1 avocado, sliced
2 tbsp lemon juice
2 cups tomatoes, chopped
1/4 cup onion, diced
2 tbsp jalapeno, minced
4 garlic cloves, minced and divided
2 cups cilantro, chopped
1/2 cup olive oil
1 1/2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1/4 tsp ground cumin
- In a large bowl combine the crab meat, shallot, 2 tbsp of the lime juice, 1 tsp salt, and the chili powder together. Place in refrigerator until ready.
- In another bowl combine together the tomatoes, onion, jalapeno, 2 tbsp lime juice, 2 cloves of garlic, and 1/2 tsp of salt. This is your pico de gallo portion.
- In a blender, blend together the cilantro, olive oil, vinegar, 2 cloves garlic, 1/2 tsp of salt, and 1/4 tsp of cumin. This is your cilantro sauce portion.
- Place a ring mold on a serving plate. Use a slotted spoon and fill the mold half way to the top with the pico de gallo portion. Press down. Add the crab meat portion on top of the pico de gallo. Press firmly into the ring mold. Carefully remove mold. Top with avocado slices and top with the cilantro sauce.
- Repeat step 4 four times.
- My ring mold is approximately 4.5 diameter – about the size of a hamburger.
- Makes 4 servings.
- This dish is also being shared with Full Plate Thursday.